Now a days, there is a big gap between the demands for qualified human resource in the supply chain and logistics industry, and the currently deployed human resources there. With this realization, many educational institutions worldwide have come up with short duration courses in supply chain management and logistics to working professionals and graduates. These facilitate the employed executives in this sector to gain an edge over their colleagues.
What is Supply Chain Management and Logistics?
Supply Chain Management refers to the whole process by which a product reaches an end user through the combined effort of different organizations. It deals with the ways on maximizing customer value in terms of sourcing, product development, production, and the information systems which organize all these activities.
Logistics refers to the process of planning, executing, and managing the effective flow and storage of products and services as per customer needs.
What does a study program in supply chain management and logistics impart?
An educational program in supply chain management and logistics provides its candidates with relevant awareness in planning methods, market needs and flow management, needed to analyze logistical accomplishments or the execution of new logistical procedures. Candidates will gain planning, management, analytical, technology and organizational skills which will enable the, to develop the ability to optimize export and import flows.
List of a few short courses in Supply chain and Logistics
- CIPS Level-2 Certificate in Procurement and Supply Operations
- CIPS Level 3 – Advanced Certificate in Procurement and Supply Operations
- CIPS Level 4 – Diploma in Procurement and Supply
- CIPS Level 5 – Diploma in Procurement and Supply
- CIPS Level 6 – Professional Diploma in Procurement and Supply
- CMA: Certified Management Accountant
- CISCP: Certified International Supply Chain Professional
- CISCM: Certified International Supply Chain Manager
- Overseas CISCP / CISCM: Certified International Supply Chain Professional & Manager – Fast Track
- Purchasing Logistics with a global perspective
- Initial Lean Supply Chain- Leadership
- Procurement and Supply Diploma
- Retail Management
- Initial Lean Supply Chain- Proficiency
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management Subject Diploma
- International Trade (Import-Export)
- Supply Chain Management: Strategy and Planning for Effective Operations
- Initial Lean Supply Chain- Tactical
What are the career prospects of those taking up these courses?
Usually these candidates get placed in the manufacturing industry. But there are also numerous opportunities for them in the health care industry, and wholesale and retail outlets. They get employed as logistics manager, logistics engineer, purchasing manager, materials manager, supply chain manager/analyst, facilities manager, logistics information systems manager, and warehouse manager. So, go ahead and enroll yourself in a short course of your choice in supply chain management and logistics.