Quality is integral to the growth of businesses. The organizations that compromise on quality or fail to understand the importance of quality will have to face negative consequences. The webinar conducted by Blue Ocean Academy on the topic ‘Six Sigma Methodology’ focussed on the methodologies of Six Sigma and the ways in which Six Sigma training can help you in your career.
Following are the important points discussed in the webinar:
Six Sigma is a strategy to significantly improve customer satisfaction and shareholder value by eliminating the causes of errors and reducing variability in business processes. The goal of Six Sigma is to reduce defects in a process to no more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. It does this by eliminating the reasons for errors and improving the processes. Anything that doesn’t meet the customer’s expectation is a defect.
Why is Six Sigma Methodology So Effective?
- Customer focussed- Project goals are defined by the voice of the customer
- Data and process-driven approach- Issues are identified by gathering and analyzing detailed information on the process and process performance
- Involves cross-functional teams- Six Sigma projects involve people from different departments.
- Structured problem solving- Extensive use of visual analysis tools and statistical validation ensure predictable and sustainable outcomes.
Stakeholders in a Six Sigma Project
- Green Belt- They support black belts in Lean Six Sigma projects or lead small projects. They possess only basic knowledge about Six Sigma.
- Black Belt- They lead Lean Six Sigma projects and possess advanced knowledge on Six Sigma.
- Master Black Belt- They mentor and coach the Black Belt and Green Belts.
- Head of Business Function- This person is the primary beneficiary of the Lean Six Sigma project
- Champion- Champion is the decision-maker in the process. He/she is responsible for removing the barriers and for approving changes in the project.
The Six Sigma Project Approach
The Six Sigma projects use the popular approach named DMAIC (Define, Monitor, Analyse, Improve, Control). The project team should define the problem, goals and benefits, measure the process performance and create process maps, analyze the process to identify sources of variation, find potential solutions for improvement and finally implement Statistical Process Control. The final stage closes the project and finalizes documentation.
Benefits of Six Sigma Training and Certification
The professionals who have the knowledge of Six Sigma can improve the quality of processes in their organizations which ultimately leads to customer satisfaction and increased profit. Following are the main benefits of Six Sigma training and certification:
- Ability to identify improvement opportunities in business processes
- Structured and data-oriented mindset to decision making and problem-solving
- Knowledge and application of industry-agnostic tools and techniques
- Ability to drive cost and efficiency benefits for the organization
- Orientation to process, quality and orientation
- Preference over other candidates in interviews
- Increased career opportunities in a broader horizon of companies and industries
- Higher salary for the same position
- Fastrack career growth to managerial and leadership levels