Blue Ocean Academy conducted a free webinar on ‘Lean Six Sigma Methodology and Applications’. The webinar was facilitated by Dr Farrukh Kidwai, who has over 25 years of experience in implementing Six Sigma tools and methodologies in varied industries across the globe. Around 250 professionals attended the highly informative webinar. The following are the important points discussed in the webinar.
“If you can’t describe what you do as a process, you don’t know what you are doing.” W Edwards Deming
As the author reinforces in the quote, a professional who cannot describe the process which he has been doing, it means that he doesn’t have a clear idea of the task. Six Sigma professionals should have a clear understanding of the processes that occur in their organization.
Lean Six Sigma can be key to a company’s success in the global market. Lean six sigma is not only applicable for manufacturing, but it can also be implemented in all other industries including healthcare and service industries.
Lean Six Sigma focuses on
- Delivering what the customer needs
- Understanding when and where they need it
- Delivering on time and being reliable
- Designing right the first time
- Creating loyal customers
5 lean six sigma principles
- Define the value- The product/service must add value to the customer
- Map value stream- Visualize the entire process required to deliver value
- Create flow: The process should be smooth without any hurdles
- Establish pull: Don’t over-produce anything in your organization
- Pursuit perfection- It aims at complete elimination of waste
Benefits for organizations
Implementing Lean Six Sigma in your organization can provide several benefits. As it improves the quality of products/services, you will have loyal customers.
- Having all associates to develop a customer focus
- Builds customer loyalty
- Reduces waste in the operation
- Improves efficiency and productivity
- Effective value stream management
- Team building
What is 5s?
5s is a workplace and housekeeping system described by 5 words that begin with the letter ‘S’. Those five words are:
- Sort- Distinguish wanted and unwanted items and eliminate the latter.
- Shine- Keep the organization clean
- Set in order- Keep wanted items in an order for easy and immediate retrieval
- Standardize- Once everything is in place; make it a standard that has to be followed in the future.
- Sustain- Make a habit of maintaining established procedures
What is waste?
Lean Six Sigma aims at eliminating waste. Waste is anything that doesn’t add value from the customer’s perspective.
8 types of wastes
- Non-utilized talents
- Excessive processing
Employees must always look out for these 8 types of wastes in their organization and eliminate them at any cost.
Value Stream Mapping
Value stream mapping is making the visual representation of every process from start to finish. It can measure the current performance of your business process, show the wastes in the process, provide a common language and help to ensure that all elements of the system are working together.
At the workplace, managers and workers working together to make improvements with low capital investments can be termed as Kaizen. It is a 1-5 days event where a cross-functional team seeks to make a significant improvement in a specific process.
- Accelerates improvement
- Makes the job easier and safer
- Saves money and time
- Stimulates staff
- Creates an atmosphere of harmony and a strong sense of community
Key Performance Indicator (KPI)
A Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is a measurable value that demonstrates how effectively a company is achieving key business objectives. KPI’s should be linked to the strategic objectives of the organization at all levels. It is very important to limit the number of KPIs to keep everyone’s attention focussed on achieving them.
The implementation of these Lean Six Sigma methodologies will bring a sea change in the performance and business outcomes of your organization. While organizations are competing among themselves to reap profit, this is a great way of standing out with quality and building loyal customers.